Saturday, August 16, 2014

MinneSo' Much Flour!

As promised....

I finally made it back to the Mill City Museum! Dead smack on the Mississippi River, looking out onto St. Anthony's Fall, the Mill City Museum is a huge part in representing the thriving milling industry that once occupied the river's banks (once the Flour Milling Capital of the World!). Providing a snap shot of the once booming milling society, the Mill City Museum is situated on the ruins of the Washburn "A" Mill. Built in 1874, the Washburn Mill was supposedly the biggest mill in the whole world. One of more than two dozen mills posted on the river's bank, the Washburn Mill Experienced a HUGE explosion in 1878, killing 18 workers. This huge mill was powered by the rushing water from St. Anthony's falls, as were most of the mills along the river.

When you first arrive for the tour, they send to you to this AWESOME elevator, where you are taken on a historical, 'real' life experience of how the mill used to function, with actual voice overs from workers who worked at the mill. After bouncing through about 8 floors of history you exit onto their outlook, which gives a wondrous view of the river, the falls and the stone arch bridge. Check it out!


 From the 8th floor, I think, looking up from their ruins courtyard 

I think this is one of the coolest signs ever!

Another view from the 8th floor, a look at the stone arch bridge

Looking down onto the Washburn 'A' Mill Ruins (FYI, you can have weddings here apparently! Word to the wise, if you're planning on having a wedding during the summer, either bring body spray and extra deodorant, or plan for a fall wedding.)

More of the falls just cause its so cool. Based one of the first details of the falls, from a missionary, the falls is currently not in it's original location. Over a hundred years ago, there was an cement "apron" that was built right under where it spills. Cool fact, they used to dump the left over flour dust from the mills into water....which eventually turned the river into mush. One smarty pants noticed however, that the fish in the river were HUGE! He then began a fish feed company, using said left over gunk from the mills. What a smarty, I tell'ya.

That first building, right above the parking lot, was an old mill and now it has been converted to apartments. How cool!

Downstairs, theres a museum with cool things like GIGANTIC Bisquick boxes, old commercials, example water installations to show the power of the falls and even a test kitchen that makes bread daily (that was based off of an old Pilsbury kitchen!

The biggest recipe box I've ever done seen!

Thanks!

Also in the museum, theres a video you can watch called Minneapolis in 19 Minutes Flat, its so informative and doesn't even seem like 19 minutes!! So worth watching! Heres a little preview!


I'm so glad I finally made it back to the museum! I've taken a little break in exploring these past few weeks, my apologies. Its been a rough time for me here in Minnesota, a combination of anxiety and frustration, or as I like to call it 'Ferklumpedness.' (It feels exactly how it sounds) I only have a four more weeks here in MN so I'll try to get back on that optimistic horse and explore more for yawl! Until then..

Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
-Taryn Julia 


No comments:

Post a Comment