Beginning in 1859, a year after Minnesota was granted statehood, the State Fair has grown to a 12 day affair, bringing in individuals from not only Minnesota but from surrounding states like Iowa and Wisconsin as well. (Which judging by the ironic T-Shirts I saw yesterday are the butt of a ton of jokes 'round these parts) As of Saturday (the 30th) there were 252, 092 people in attendance, just on Saturday alone! Apparently thats a new record or something. Everyone knows the fair is famous for its fried foods and yums on a stick but there are some tried and true vendors that stand the test of time and rake in big bucks every year! Based on last years earnings Sweet Martha's Cookies Cookies made almost $2.5 million dollars. That's a ton of cookie buckets! (Hoards of people toting around plastic tubs literally overflowing with chocolate chip cookies; and yes, that is an appropriate use of literally). Enough with the knowledge! Heres the fair!
Grand Supreme Dairy Cow! You go, Girl!
Some Horses
Those are all people. When they say Get Together..they really mean Get Together
I can never get away!
Isn't this just the cutest!
Theres two whole rooms dedicated to Dahlias and it was easy to see why. There were all so beautiful!
Oh Agriculture, sometimes you're so cute
One of the skyways that was just so cute that I had to....
...take a ride! I saw tons of people, tractors and....
underwear, because apparently that's what you're suppose to do on the Skyway thing.
More things from up above..
ALL OF THE PEOPLE! I repeat..Get-To-Gether.
One of the top selling vendors at the fair probably because you can literally get a whole bucket of fries.
Brought to you by Land O' Lakes, life sized sculptures of the fair's princesses. They literally sit in a rotating cold box and a lady carves their face into a slab of butter. (Don't worry, I took a video)
Get-To-Gether. When more than 240,000 people get together and it's about 80 degrees outside with 80+% humidity this great get together gets a litttttle stinky, just saying.
In the Sam's Club building, they had a live animal surgery happening. Uh Wut?
I just like dogs a lot.
A staple at the fair, the giant slide!
Bye State Fair, you've been entertaining, to say the least.
So "Part 1: Fairchild" was just things I saw. "Part 2: Fairborn" will consist of what I ate, and what I should have eaten. And if you were wondering, I had a bowl of cantaloupe and a side of carrots, tomatoes and snap peas for dinner after the fair.
Nap Time...
Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
*uhh Taryn..why the "Part 1: Fairchild*" in the title? Fairchild is the original mascot of the Minnesota State Fair. He is a Gopher, who dons a stripe coat and straw hat to make him look like an old time'y mascot. Now you know!









No comments:
Post a Comment