Yesterday was my dear friend Yen-Chis' birthday!! And after asking what she wanted for her birthday I was slightly surprised, slightly excited about her response! The birthday girl requested....
BIRTHDAY LASAGNA!
What's Birthday Lasagna you say? It's a lasagna.... for your birthday! Here's a secret, I have never ever actually made lasagna because truthfully I have always been too scared to, based on the time and effort it takes to make it! So I decided to pull up my big girl apron and make lasagna! So to ease my way into the lasagna pool and I decided to make an easy peasy lasagna. So this is what you'll need....
- Ground Beef
- Italian Sausage
- Some type of Diced Squash veggie
- Diced Onions
- Jar of Spaghetti Sauce (cause your lazy)
- Ricotta Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Lasagna Noodles
- Olive Oil
- Salt
- Water
Some of the stuff and stuff
This is what you'll need to do.....
Step 1: do this....
I'm just kidding, let's move on.....
Step 1: REALIZE THAT MAKING LASAGNA (easy peasy or not) IS A VERY AMBITIOUS TASK! And then you.....
Take the Italian sausage out of the casing and with the ground beef, brown over medium heat until they are completely cooked. Removed meat from skillet as well as 3/4ths of the fat (carefully!).
Using the left over fat, cook the diced onions and squash until they are palatable (vague...good job Self).
Return the meat to the pan with the squash and add the (jar) Tomato sauce. Let that hang out.
Step 2: MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHECK YOUR LASAGNA NOODLE BOX AND CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS BOIL OR NO BOIL NOODLES! Because sometimes you purchase NO BOIL noodles from the store and then you boil them and realize that you did more work than you actually needed to making this easy peasy lasagna not as easy peasy as you thought. So do what you must do to cook those noodles.
Mozzarella Cheese Interlude! Weeeeeeee
On wards! While your water is boiling (if that is the poor choice you decided on) combine one egg with your ricotta and mix!
Side note, Ricotta is a very odd dairy product.
Step 3: Gather a large glass container and layer, layer layer! I went with a Sauce-Noodle-Cheese-Sauce-Noodle......Noodle-Sauce-Mozzarella game plan. But please, layer any way you want.
Like this!
Step 4: Bake that birthday lasagna for about 30 minutes at 350°F covered in tin-foil and then turn oven off, uncover birthday lasagna and continue to heat for about 5 minutes or until your mozzarella is melted. Then take that layered yum out and ENJOY!
I'm pretty sure this picture is blurry. Probably because I was in such a rush to eat!
I should rename this Lazy Lasagna or Lazy-agna... Overall, it was a successful Birthday Lasagna, everyone at least pretended to like it!! But needless to say I don't think I'll be making any type celebratory lasagna any time soon.
Bonus! Here's a sneak peek inside my personal recipe journal (the magical place that holds all my food ideas, basically exactly how the gears in my noggin works) This is what I call "How to Layer a Birthday Lasagna":
"Figure Here"...good one, Self.
I am still tired from Birthday Lasagna. So....
Stay tuned. Stay hungry!









No comments:
Post a Comment