Friday, August 2, 2013

Food Woooooo-ologist Part 3!

Sorry for the delay! I've been sick. I know! Who gets sick during the summer!
Anyways, back to the task at hand.... This is what we have covered since we embarked on this Foodventure
  • What the food science community defines as food science
  • What the non-food science community thinks food science is
  • Who can be a food scientist
  •  What I think food science is
  • How I became a brown-eye-bushy-tailed food scientists 
Two things? That's it?! Oh dear, we have a lot to cover.

What the non-food science community thinks food science is....is a really difficult thing to answer and I have no idea why I decided that was a good question. See, this is a hard thing to answer seeing as how I am not the "non-food science community" (I would be very large if i was the entire community) But I'll tell you the Top 5 things I have heard:
  1. So its nutrition right? You want to be a dietitian? 
  2. So you want to be a cook?
  3. You just get to eat a lot right?
  4. Is that even a thing? I didn't even know that existed!
  5. So what you're saying is that you want to work in a hospital, as a dietitian....
So there you have it. Moving on...
I believe that food science is the study and understanding of the attributes of food ingredients. These characteristics need to be understood in order to create products that have a usable form and functionality. 
I think a food scientist is a person who has a fundamental understanding of food ingredients and how they interact when they are mixed together! A food scientist understands (or at least desires to understand) the physical, biological and chemical characteristics each food ingredient (in the whole world!) holds. Furthermore, a food scientist is someone who passionately believes in the power of food and wholeheartedly wants to sustain another individual whether it be basic nourishment or extravagant indulgence. I also believe that food science is absolutely necessary for societies and individuals to strive; or as I like to say "nourish and they will flourish!"

That was sappy. Oh! One thing left on our list! YAY! Till next time! 
Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
-Taryn


No comments:

Post a Comment