Monday, November 17, 2014

MinneSo' I Have No Idea...

....Where I left off...
Somewhere in South Dakota I think. So from South Dakota, it was a long drive through random random Wyoming to Colorado! Golden, Colorado to be exact.

Selfie at the Coors Factory whilst taking a brewski break! Yeah! That Coors, the banquets beer!

This is the adorbs river that just flows down downtown Golden.

Mom, Cheryl and Tom! Our lovely hosts while in Golden! 

Hello Colorado sunset, you're kinda pretty!

Onward! Right outside of Amarillo, Texas is a super adorable cutesie cutesie town called Lake Tanglewood! Mom's high school buddy Greg (Uncle Greg) and his Dad live in Lake Tanglewood and are lucky enough to wake up to this every morning! 

Hey Lake! You're kinda spectacular!

Right outside of Amarillo is one of the best road side attraction...Cadillac Ranch! We bought a few cans of spray paint and got our creative on! 

(p.s if you didn't know, you could have followed my adventure by using the handle #minnesotaryn) 

Just incase you forgot you were in Texas...

TexAss, right outside of The Big Texan because just incase you forgot you were in Texas :)

Uncle Greg making us...Chicken Fried Steak! How appropriate! 

Before heading to New Mexico we made a pit-stop at Ye Olde Pancake Station, a no-nonsense, no-frills breakfast spot where the customers' median age is 65 and the coffee flows freely. Just so you know, I bought two of those cups with Flip their mascot on the front. 

Then after a 4 hour drive....Santa Fe, New Mexico!? You're a silly little place. We stayed at the Sage Inn, a cozy little spot, which was good because later that night we got stuck in a flash flood-thunders storm-lightning storm! But before that happened we had a chance to grab a snack at Shake Foundation, which we heard was relatively new. 

All outdoor seating with big picnic benches, Shake Foundation is dedicated to "the preservation of the original green chile hamburger" by using all natural brisket and sirloin beef. Let me just say, I'm all about the green chile hamburger! Paired with shoestring fries was yum, but then we added a made-to-order pistachio milkshake and took our meal to a whole new level! 

After our snack, we made a stop at the Georgia O'Keefee Museum. Its a wonderful collection of her painting and sketches, a lot which she created in and based on her home in New Mexico. 

Pedestrian friendly, the main square area hosts restaurants, cathedrals, shops, chapels and missions (which if you know me, I love!)

Remember that flash-floody storm I mentioned earlier? Well we were lucky enough that it passed with enough time for us to grab dinner at Elevation Bistro. Warm romaine salad? Half rack of ribs? Local beer for only $3? I'm sold. 

But alas, we must move on. To Sedona we go! Voted the "Most Beautiful Place in the World," Sedona is a funky mix of spiritual, quirky and colorful. Did that make sense? No? Oh well, just look! 

This was from the first night in Sedona, when we tried really hard to find Cathedral Rock before sunset. Well that didn't happen so we found dinner instead. 

 The next day, we went on a driving tour of the rocks surrounding Sedona. We found..Thunder Mountain, Snoop Rocky, Chimney Rock, Cathedral Rock, Coffeepot Rock and Bell Rock

Pretty sure this is Thunder Mountain.

Now let me tell you the tale of Snoopy Rock. We drove to Cathedral Rock (which is really cool btws) and as we were leaving, as I asked the parking attendant Steve if we could see Snoopy Rock from there. First he laughed then said, "No! You need to go to Cold Stones, get some ice cream and then you'll see it!" Now I know that Sedona is all hippie dippy so I thought Steve was just giving me some Shaman-Crystal-Spiritual advice. We drove and drove (like 2 blocks) until we were really hot and decided it was lunch time. So we ended up at Wildflower Bread Company for lunch (basically Panera, in the SouthWest) and then ice cream at Cold Stones (Prickely Pear to be exact) was the only appropriate next step...where we figured out that you can see Snoopy Rock from the balcony outside of the store. Oh Steve, how I will never question you again. 

Weeeewwwhhh. We are almost there! Just three states left? Water break!

Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
-Taryn Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment