Thursday, November 14, 2013

How Gourd-geous!

Fall is here! Yay! That means sweaters and red leaves and lots of tea! It also means gourds!!  
My love for winter squashes and melons has been a bumpy one. Our first affair was one of hatred because of the laborious hours put into roasting them and risking chopping off my fingers. Now our love has turned into a relationship of adoration and amazement.
I love squash! Plain and simple. This past week I have roasted two different gourds. One being butternut squash the other being an....I don't know. It was just at my house so I had to make it. Maybe you can help me identify it!
Here it is all naked and de-seeded.  I have no idea what it is! Its sweet and has a really soft inside, not to nutty, not too stringy. Help!
For my butternut squash.... I cut the top and bottom off. Scored it in a criss-cross fashion and smothered it in olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic for about 45 minutes  to an hour at 425°F in the oven.  And then I demolished about half of it in 15 minutes. 
S'marvelous crackling pepper and salt in oil.  *drooooool*

Poor lil guy didn't even stand a chance. The scoring helped the squash roast a little faster and made it easy to pick, pull and eat right off the plate. 
What's your favorite fall dish?

Coming soon-Fall Time Carrot Soup! 
Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
-Taryn Julia


No comments:

Post a Comment