Monday, June 3, 2013

Food What-ologist?! Part 1

I am often asked, "Taryn, what is food science?" To which I often respond, "Do you enjoy to eat products from a store? Well a food scientists prooobbabbllyy made that" To which I often receive a response of "So it's basically nutrition right? Cool." (Insert "McKayla Maroney is not impressed face" here)
You would think after four years of excessive schooling and experience I would have actually formulated a way to describe what food science is!
So what the in the name of Gouda is a food scientists then!?
In order for me to answer this, it's going to take a few posts. So within the next few entries I hope to cover the following with minimal tangents and interludes:

  •  What the food science community defines as food science
  • What the non-food science community thinks food science is
  • Who can be a food scientist
  •  What I think food science is
  • How I became a brown-eye-bushy-tailed food scientists 
  • And maybe if you're lucky I'll divulge how I feel about the term "foodie" (Building suspense...classic)
Having outline the "Purpose" of the upcoming posts to a standard most likely approved by certain professors, I deem it time to hit the sack (of potatoes) to dream of flaky croissants and fluffy frosting. 
Stay tuned! Stay hungry!
-Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment